Monday, January 21, 2008

A different perspective

A thing I get a lot from previous partners is "why do you always have to be right?" I find this pretty amusing because I really don't have to be right all the time, I don't mind it when I am proved wrong, but I will make you fight for it... just a little. I tend to like to say things that I believe are right in my own mind. This doesn't have to be true for anyone else, even though it is true for me. This is why perspective is a very interesting topic.

I present my views on things in this blog which may be along the same lines as someone who is reading it, or it may be completely different. It doesn't really matter because everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don't expect everyone to agree completely with what I write. That's not the point of this blog. This blog is here for me to share my opinion on whatever subject I decide to write about. I would openly love to have a debate about any of it.

I remember once trying to explain perspective to someone else. His argument was that there was only one truth. I simply explained that this was not the case because everyone has their own truth. I gave an example of someone hitting a telephone pole with their car. The person in the car will have a completely different perspective than an observer outside of the car. Therefore, the 'truth' to the person in the car would be different than the 'truth' to the observer outside of it.

To me, this makes a lot of sense. There have been a lot of times in my life where I would rely on a friend to give me a different perspective on a situation that I was in the middle of. Each person's view on a subject or situation is different. This is the world that we live in. We are all individuals. We all have different likes and dislikes. None of us are completely right or completely wrong when we form an opinion. It is our opinion and it is unique to us.

No comments: